Dairy-Free Creamed Spinach can be a nutritious and weight-loss-friendly food option for those following a plant-based diet. Here's why:
Spinach is a leafy green vegetable that is rich in vitamins and minerals, including vitamins A, C, K, and folate, as well as iron and calcium. It's also low in calories, with only 7 calories per cup of raw spinach, and high in fiber, which can help promote feelings of fullness and reduce overall calorie intake. Incorporating spinach into meals is a great way to add nutrients and bulk to dishes without adding a lot of calories.
Coconut cream is made by blending coconut meat and water, which creates a rich and creamy texture. It's high in healthy fats, which can help you feel full and satisfied, making it a great addition to a weight-loss diet. Additionally, coconut cream contains medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), which are a type of saturated fat that are easily digested and used by the body for energy. This can help boost metabolism and promote weight loss. However, it's important to note that coconut cream is also high in calories, with about 160 calories per 1/4 cup. Consuming too much coconut cream can lead to weight gain, so it's important to use it in moderation and incorporate it into a well-balanced diet.
To make a Dairy-Free Creamed Spinach, you can use non-dairy milk or cream, such as almond, coconut or soy milk, and plant-based butter or oil instead of cream and butter. This will lower the calorie and fat content of the dish while still providing a creamy texture.
Enjoy this Dairy-Free Creamed Spinach as a side dish or as a base for a nutritious and satisfying meal.
Dairy-Free Creamed Spinach
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
Category: Side Dish
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) of coconut oil, to cook with
- 2 cloves of garlic (6 g), minced
- ¼ medium onion (1 oz or 28 g), thinly sliced
- 1 lb (450 g) of fresh spinach
- 1 cup (240 ml) of coconut cream (from the top of 2 refrigerated cans of coconut milk)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Add the coconut oil to a frying pan and fry the garlic and onion for 1 minute.
- Add the spinach and coconut cream to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes or until the sauce is thick to your liking.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve warm.
Nutrition: (Estimated and based on per-serving amounts.)
- Calories: 181
- Fat: 16 g
- Total Carbs: 7 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Sugar: 1 g
- Net Carbs: 3 g
- Protein: 4 g