This Chicken Taco Soup recipe is filled with all of the flavors of a traditional taco soup but none of the carbs. Just put all of the ingredients in the slow cooker in the morning, and you’ll have a delicious hot dinner waiting for you that evening.
Chicken taco soup is a delicious and satisfying low-carb meal that is perfect for those following a low-carb diet. This soup is packed with protein, fiber, and healthy fats, making it a great option for anyone looking to lose weight, maintain a healthy weight, or simply eat a nutritious and flavorful meal.
One of the key ingredients in chicken taco soup is chicken, which is a lean protein that is low in fat and carbs. Chicken is also a good source of vitamins and minerals, including niacin, vitamin B6, and selenium, all of which are essential for good health. By adding chicken to the soup, you are increasing the protein content of the dish, which can help you feel fuller for longer and prevent overeating.
Another low-carb ingredient in chicken taco soup is vegetables. This soup is typically made with onions, garlic, diced tomatoes, and green chilies, all of which are low in carbs and high in fiber. Fiber is important for maintaining digestive health and can also help you feel fuller for longer, which can be beneficial for weight management.
The use of spices in chicken taco soup is also beneficial for those following a low-carb diet. Spices like taco seasoning, cumin, and chili powder add flavor and depth to the soup without adding any significant carbs. In fact, many spices have been shown to have health benefits, including anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
Finally, chicken taco soup can be topped with a variety of low-carb toppings, such as sliced avocado, shredded cheese, sour cream, chopped cilantro, and lime wedges. These toppings add flavor and texture to the soup without adding many carbs, making them a great option for anyone looking to stay within their carb limits.
Overall, chicken taco soup is a delicious and nutritious low-carb meal that is perfect for anyone looking to eat healthily and stay within their carb limits. With its high protein and fiber content, low carb count, and flavorful ingredients, this soup is sure to become a staple in your low-carb meal plan.
Chicken Taco Soup
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 6 hours
Yield: 6 servings
- 3 skinless boneless chicken breasts (1.3 lbs or 600 g) (defrosted, if frozen)
- 1 (14.5 oz or 414 ml) can of diced tomatoes
- ½ medium onion (2 oz or 55 g), peeled and sliced
- 2 cups (480 ml) chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 3 Tablespoons (18 g) taco seasoning
- 1 medium bell pepper (4.2 oz or 120 g), chopped
- 2 cups (350 g) broccoli or cauliflower, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- To serve: chopped fresh cilantro, coconut cream, sliced avocado, chopped green onions (optional)
- Add the chicken, diced tomatoes, onion, chicken broth, and taco seasoning into a slow cooker. Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and use 2 forks to shred the meat.
- Add the shredded chicken, chopped bell pepper, and broccoli or cauliflower to the slow cooker and continue to cook for an additional 1 hour until the vegetables are cooked through. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve the soup by itself or serve it with the optional toppings.
- Boneless skinless chicken thighs can be used instead of chicken breasts. If using bone-in chicken breast or thighs, remove and discard the bone before shredding it after it is cooked.
- Ground chicken, ground turkey, and ground beef can also be used instead of chicken breast.
- You can use tomato sauce instead of diced tomatoes.
- You can use 2 teaspoons of onion powder instead of the onion.
- Frozen cauliflower and broccoli can be used instead of fresh. You can add the vegetables partially defrosted to the slow cooker, but the chicken must be completely defrosted before putting it in the slow cooker.
- Be sure to check the ingredients label of the taco seasoning to make sure sugar isn’t listed.
Nutrition: (Estimated and based on per-serving amounts.)
- Calories: 245
- Fat: 10 g
- Total Carbs: 9 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Sugar: 4 g
- Net Carbs: 6 g
- Protein: 26 g