I love a good lemon chicken dish. Love. And you can’t help but love this low-carb slow cooker lemon chicken recipe.
Lemon Chicken, Only Easier
If you’ve ever made lemon chicken in your pre-low-carb existence you may have noticed it’s kind of a pain in the rear.
One recipe I was particularly fond of involved a ton of work and time. Flatten the chicken, flour the chicken, pan fry the chicken, cook the lemons, and add the chicken back into the pan. Oh, and you had to do it in batches.
I’m not going to lie, the chicken was amazing, but who has time for that?
With a slow cooker, you can prepare your ingredients and leave them alone while you take care of life. Slow cookers are good like that.
How I Made This Low Carb
There are about a million lemon chicken recipes out there, so I can’t possibly cover all of the ways a lemon chicken recipe might not be low-carb, but here are a few thoughts.
Obviously, the recipe from my former life contained flour, which would be a definite no-go for low-carb. While it might be possible to conjure up something similar using low-carb flour, the whole flour scenario is necessary with this slow cooker version.
Another common pitfall with lemon chicken recipes is that people want to serve them over noodles. That’s another situation that’s not gonna fly with low-carb, but you could substitute zucchini noodles or shirataki noodles if you want to replicate a dish you enjoy.
Mushrooms are a nice filler in recipes like this. They add a bit of an umami vibe but are otherwise fairly content to just sponge up the flavors around them.
They have a great way of making any dish feel more substantial and filling.
Benefits of Lemon Chicken on a Low-Carb Diet
- Low in Carbs: Lemon chicken is a low-carb food because it typically does not contain high-carb ingredients such as flour, bread crumbs, or sugar. This makes it a great option for those who are trying to limit their carb intake.
- High in Protein: Chicken is an excellent source of protein, which is essential for building and repairing muscles. Protein also helps keep you feeling full and satisfied for longer periods, which can be especially beneficial for those on a low-carb diet.
- Rich in Vitamins and Minerals: Lemons, which are used to flavor lemon chicken, are rich in vitamins and minerals such as vitamin C, potassium, and folate. These nutrients are essential for overall health and well-being.
- Versatile: Lemon chicken can be made in a variety of ways, making it a versatile dish that can be enjoyed in different forms. It can be baked, grilled, sautéed, or even cooked in a slow cooker.
Give this low-carb lemon chicken recipe a try and see how delicious and satisfying it can be!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours
Yield: 4 servings
Category: Dinner, Entrée
Description: A fresh lemon chicken with a glaze, perfect for spring and summer.
- 2 lemons (6 oz or 170 g)
- 8 chicken thighs (2.6 lbs or 1.2 kg), with skin on (defrosted, if frozen)
- 2 cups (150 g) white button mushrooms, sliced thick (approx. 15 whole mushrooms)
- 1 1/2 cups (360 ml) chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme (1 g), leaves picked
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cut both lemons in half. Save one-half for juice and set aside. Thinly slice the remaining lemons and set aside. Season the chicken thighs with salt.
- Place the chicken and mushrooms in a slow cooker. Pour in the chicken or vegetable broth and squeeze the lemon half over the chicken. Place the lemon slices and fresh thyme leaves on top of the chicken.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high heat for 4 to 5 hours or on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Remove the chicken, lemons, and mushrooms from the slow cooker with a slotted spoon. If desired, pour the sauce into a small saucepan and simmer over medium heat until thickened to your liking. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve the chicken with the sauce and garnish with any additional fresh thyme leaves, if desired.
- Chicken breasts can be used instead of chicken thighs. Skinless chicken thighs or breasts can be used as well.
- You can use 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme instead of fresh thyme.
- For a more mild lemon flavor, use 1 lemon or omit adding the lemon slices to the slow cooker.
Nutrition: (Estimated and based on per-serving amounts.)
- Calories: 417
- Fat: 28 g
- Total Carbs: 3 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Sugar: 2 g
- Net Carbs: 3 g
- Protein: 33 g