One of the best things about stir-fry is that it’s quick. Make this low-carb Asparagus Chicken Stir-Fry recipe on a busy weeknight.
About Avocado Oil
Not all oils are created equal. Many oils are highly processed, contain trans fats, and are linked to inflammation.
There are some better oils out there though. Avocado is one of my favorite oils for keto or low-carb. It’s excellent for stir fry because it has a high smoke point.
It’s also resistant to oxidation during cooking.
This oil is high in monounsaturated fats. Avocado oil is 70% oleic acid, which has been shown to improve blood pressure.
Its neutral flavor lends itself to many recipes, as it is happy to let other flavors shine through. In this recipe I let tamari sauce steal the show.
Asparagus makes up much of this recipe, so it’s important to get a good bunch.
Contrary to common belief, the thickness of the spears isn’t an indication of quality. A nice mid-size spear works well in this recipe.
I don’t like them too thin because it’s easy to overcook them.
The stalks should be firm, but the stems should not be woody. If you get woody stems you’ll end up wasting a lot of the asparagus.
The tips should be neatly closed, and the asparagus should be bright green. Some may have a hint of purple; that is fine.
Asparagus is in its prime in the spring, but you can find fresh, canned, or frozen varieties year-round.
Asparagus is a nutrient-dense vegetable. It's an excellent source of several essential vitamins and minerals, including vitamin K, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, and folate. These nutrients play vital roles in maintaining overall health. It is a good source of dietary fiber, which promotes healthy digestion and regular bowel movements. Fiber also helps with weight management by promoting a feeling of fullness. Additionally, asparagus is naturally low in calories, making it a great addition to a calorie-conscious diet. One cup of cooked asparagus contains only about 32 calories.
Asparagus Chicken Stir-Fry
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 2 servings
Description: One of the best things about stir-fry is that it’s quick.
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) of avocado oil, to cook with
- 1/4 onion (28 g), diced
- 1 chicken breast (200 g), diced
- 16 spears of asparagus (250 g), chopped
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) of gluten-free tamari sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of sesame oil
- Add the avocado oil to a hot frying pan or wok.
- Add the diced onion and cook until it turns translucent.
- Add in the diced chicken and stir-fry until the chicken is cooked. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the asparagus into the same frying pan and stir-fry for 5 minutes on high heat.
- Add the chicken back in, and season with tamari sauce and sesame oil.
- Enjoy with cauliflower “rice”.
Nutrition: (Estimated and based on per-serving amounts.)
- Calories: 492
- Fat: 41 g
- Total Carbs: 10 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Sugar: 5 g
- Net Carbs: 6 g
- Protein: 24 g