Mocha Chia Pudding
Posted by Mike Miryala on
Imagine a dessert that marries rich creamy chocolate with deep expresso flavor for the perfect satisfying mocha taste. Now imagine that you can make it in your own kitchen with five ingredients and five minutes active prep time. Think it’s too good to be true? Think again, this low-carb plant-based mocha chia pudding balances the classic flavors of mocha with luscious coconut cream and the health benefits of chia. With protein, antioxidants, and zero grams of sugar, this pudding can be enjoyed guilt-free all day long, equally suited for an indulgent breakfast or easy dessert!
3 Reasons to Include More Chia Seeds in Your Diet
Once upon a time, chia was best known for the iconic terracotta animals, Chia Pets. That isn’t the case these days. Now, the health benefits of this seed, native to South America, are widely known and chia can be found in the kitchen more often than the planter. Read on to see some of the top health benefits associated with chia seeds.
- Chia seeds are packed with antioxidants, which fight the production of damaging free radicals. 
- Chia seeds are high in protein and have a good balance of essential amino acids overall, making it an excellent way to get a little more protein, especially if you limit your consumption of animal products. 
- Chia can help manage blood glucose levels. One study found that participant who ate bread with chia seeds added had lower levels of post-meal blood sugar than those who ate bread without chia seeds. 
Chia Pudding 101
Chia pudding is so easy to make, that endless variations are possible, but every chia pudding has some common elements. Read on for a breakdown of chia pudding that will have you making your own flavors in no time!
- Chia seeds – the one ingredient that you can’t substitute or do without.
- Liquid – we use coconut cream, but you can use coconut milk or any other non-dairy milk or even tea!
- Sweetener – to taste.
- Flavoring – This recipe uses cacao and expresso, but you’re limited only by your imagination. Spices, like cinnamon, can take an ordinary dessert and make it extraordinary.
One more thing to consider is whether or not to blend your chia pudding. Unblended chia pudding has a texture like tapioca pudding while blended pudding has a smooth texture more like other pudding recipes. If you would like smooth pudding, simply place all ingredients in a high spend blender and blend before chilling.
Mocha Chia Pudding
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Yield: 2 servings
Category: Breakfast, Dessert
Description: A hands-off dessert that will keep you coming back for more.
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) of brewed espresso
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) of coconut cream (from the top of a refrigerated can of coconut milk)
- 1 Tablespoon (6 g) of unsweetened cacao powder
- 1 Tablespoon (12 g) of chia seeds
- Granulated erythritol or stevia, to taste
- Whisk to combine all the ingredients until completely incorporated. Pour the mixture into a refrigerator-safe container.
- Place in the refrigerator for 4 hours or until set.
- Serve cold and enjoy.
Nutrition: (Estimated and based on per-serving amounts.)
- Calories: 59
- Fat: 4 g
- Total Carbs: 4 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Sugar: 0 g
- Net Carbs: 1 g
- Protein: 2 g